Re: blender doesn't play ball with debian-multimedia

Author: tv.debian@googlemail.com
To: dmo-discussion
Subject: Re: blender doesn't play ball with debian-multimedia
On the 04/11/2010 14:10, Christian Marillat wrote :
> "tv.debian@???" <tv.debian@???> writes:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>
> Hi,
>
>> I am a blender user for HD video editing, and as long as I can remember
>> it hasn't been working with d-m ffmpeg related packages installed. I am
>> working around it using blender static packages from blender.org or
>> using Ubuntu builds, but it doesn't feel proper.
>> Today I opened a bug #602382 about it, hoping this could be resolved in
>> a audacity-like fashion.
>
> How to reproduce this bug ?
>
> Christian

Just install blender from debian on a debian Squeeze/Sid system (amd64
here), and try to add a video ("movie" or "movie + audio HD" in blender
"add" menu) file in blender. For testing I always use the same files
which are :

BigBuckBunny at 1920x1080 (but any resolution will do I think)
http://www.bigbuckbunny.org/index.php/download/

Sintel (any)
http://www.sintel.org/wp-content/content/download.html

Both have been created using blender.

I also use personal video files in various format.

To put blender in video editing mode (sequence editor) the easiest is to
follow one of :

http://straightedgelinux.com/videoBlender/

or

http://eugenia.queru.com/2008/04/20/video-editing-with-blender/

it's really a matter of changing a couple of drop-down menu, but easier
to explain with screen captures than words.

To test with blender from blender.org just download the package, unpack
and run.
http://www.blender.org/download/get-blender/

I also tested Ubuntu maverick builds, and installed all dependencies
from debian and d-m, it works too.

Thank you for your interest.