Re: Squeeze

Author: signal3
To: dmo-discussion
Subject: Re: Squeeze
Okay, still having some problems... here's what's happened basically.

I saw the original message and thought... boy, better not update any
"important" computers, so this is all happening on my laptop for now. I
usually do the following:
*
*
*sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude safe-upgrade && sudo aptitude
autoclean && apt-show-versions | sort > ~/myPkgs.txt*

once in a while and this is how I've been doing things for the purposes of
this email. I like keeping a list in the myPkgs.txt file so I can easily &
quickly compare machines and/or install what I like on a new machine. Back
to the story...

The first time I did this I noticed some complaints and figured... probably
easier to remove the packages that were complaining for the time being. So,
I "aptitude removed" the packages that complained. I guess these where ones
that have moved but maybe some that depend on old dmo packages too (not
sure, but I thought blender was coming from debian.org yet relied on
something from dmo... doesn't sound right, could be an old issue, again
IDK).

Regardless, now I can actually remove the line "*deb
http://www.debian-multimedia.org lenny main non-free*" from my sources
completely and everything is fine. Here's where the /real/ problem is...

I go back (adding reference to dmo in my sources) and try to install the
ones that I enjoy (which I removed in order to be able to update without
reference to dmo); it basically comes to:

*aptitude install acidrip avidemux blender mencoder mplayer-nogui xine-ui*

when I do this without dmo listed in my sources everything is fine - except
there is no candidate for: acidrip avidemux mencoder mplayer-nogui. Not a
big deal, since these probably just aren't in dmo. The problem is when I
add reference to dmo in my sources and attempt the same install (acidrip
avidemux blender etc), I get this:

*sudo aptitude install acidrip avidemux blender mencoder mplayer-nogui
xine-ui
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done
No candidate version found for avidemux
No candidate version found for mencoder
No candidate version found for avidemux
No candidate version found for mencoder
The following packages are BROKEN:
  acidrip libavformat52 mplayer-nogui
  blender libalut0{a} libamrnb3{a} libamrwb3{a} libavcodec51{a}
libavutil49{a} libcairo-perl{a} libdc1394-22{a} libfaad0{a} libftgl2{a}
libggi-target-x{a} libggi2{a}
  libgii1{a} libgii1-target-x{a} libglib-perl{a} libgsm1{a} libgtk2-perl{a}
libmp3lame0{a} libopenal1{a} libpostproc51{a} libswscale0{a} libx264-65{a}
libxine1-ffmpeg{a}
  libxvidcore4{a} lsdvd{a} xine-ui
0 packages upgraded, 29 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 6449kB/23.7MB of archives. After unpacking 59.3MB will be used.
  libavformat52: Depends: libavcodec51 (>= 3:20080706) but
0.svn20080206-18+lenny1 is to be installed.
                 Depends: libavutil49 (>= 3:20080706) but
0.svn20080206-18+lenny1 is to be installed.
  acidrip: Depends: mencoder which is a virtual package.
  mplayer-nogui: Depends: libfaac0 (>= 1.26) but it is not installable

Install the following packages:
libavformat52 [0.svn20080206-18+lenny1 (oldstable, oldstable, oldstable)]

Keep the following packages at their current version:
acidrip [Not Installed]
mplayer-nogui [Not Installed]

Score is -19840

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?]
*

at this point I just q/^c because I'm scared ;-) I could probably keep
hacking and force everything to work but my guess is that I shouldn't be
getting unmet dependencies and thus it's better to let you know in case
something can be fixed.

Please let me know if I'm doing anything silly on my end.... hope this
helps.

-Best wishes