Re: Unstable ffmpeg package seems older than stable one!

Author: Christian Marillat
To: dmo-discussion
Subject: Re: Unstable ffmpeg package seems older than stable one!
"Phil Endecott" <spam_from_dmo_discuss@???> writes:

[...]

> So it seems that my previous versions were all 0.6.1+svn20101128-0.2,
> which is consistent with what
> http://debian-multimedia.org/dists/stable/main/binary-i386/package/ffmpeg.php
> says, and the new versions are all 0.6.2-0.4. Great. Except that not
> only does this 0.6.2 not have the hqdn3d that I was looking for, but
> it also seems to be older in other ways; it doesn't know about -vf,
> for example.

I know that -vf is broken is 0.6.2, but as I don't know how to fix
that, and still doesn't work in 0.6.3

Otherwise hqdn3d doesn't exist in the stable version only in svn.

> I have the impression that the "svn" bit of 0.6.1+svn20101128-0.2 is
> the clue: it's not actually 0.6.1 at all, and I suspect that 0.6.2 had
> already been released by then. This "stable 0.6.1" is actually newer
> than the "unstable 0.6.2"!
>
> If I have missed something significant, please tell me. Or if my
> understanding is right, perhaps something can be done so that people
> don't accidentally downgrade packages that they thought they were
> upgrading!

svn code isn't the same in the stable release.

> I now see that according to the ffmpeg changelog, hqdn3d was added in
> 0.7_beta1. I see that official Debian has 0.7 beta 2 in experimental.
> Is it planned to have this is dmo experimental, or elsewhere, anytime
> soon?

This version isn't the original ffmpeg but instead come from the libav
(ffmpeg fork) project.

Christian