Re: mythtv slaves not dependent on mysql-server

Author: Harry Coin
To: dmo-discussion
Subject: Re: mythtv slaves not dependent on mysql-server
On 2/3/2012 3:18 PM, Tom Furie wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 03, 2012 at 01:47:53PM -0600, Harry Coin wrote:
>> Thanks for doing all this packaging! Notice that mythtv-backend
>> when running as a slave backend uses only mysql - client. There
>> should be an additional package, mythtv-slave perhaps the name,
>> that is exactly as the mythtv-package but does not depend on
>> mysql-server. The reason is that it is a waste of resources to
>> load and run a mysql server on a slave backend that never makes use
>> of mysql-server. Thanks!
> Mythtv-backend doesn't depend on mysql-server, the association is only
> "recommends". This means you can deselect mysql-server if you don't want
> to install it without any problem.
>
> Cheers,
> Tom

Thanks, indeed I tried that. dpkg -r mysql-server-xxx....   Whereafter
I'm told by apt that my installation is 'broken' needing -f to reinstall
mysql-server to 'fix' a 'broken dependency'.    Strangely,  mythtv
pre-depends on mysql-server.  So if one wants to run the frontend on a
system that's also a slave backend, myth forces mysql server, which I
don't think it should.    Why does mythtv pre-depend on mysql-server?

Harry Coin