Re: mythtv slaves not dependent on mysql-server

Author: Harry Coin
To: dmo-discussion
Subject: Re: mythtv slaves not dependent on mysql-server
On 2/4/2012 10:35 AM, Christian Marillat wrote:
> Harry Coin<harrycoin@???> writes:

>>> Mythtv-backend doesn't depend on mysql-server, the association is only
>>> "recommends". This means you can deselect mysql-server if you don't want
>>> to install it without any problem.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Tom
>>>
>> Thanks, indeed I tried that. dpkg -r mysql-server-xxx....   Whereafter
>> I'm told by apt that my installation is 'broken' needing -f to
>> reinstall mysql-server to 'fix' a 'broken dependency'.    Strangely,
>> mythtv pre-depends on mysql-server.  So if one wants to run the
>> frontend on a system that's also a slave backend, myth forces mysql
>> server, which I don't think it should.    Why does mythtv pre-depend
>> on mysql-server?
> mythtv is a meta package. From the description :

> ,----
> | This package will install a complete MythTV client/server environment on a
> | single system.
> `----
>
> The frontend package don't install a mysql server.
>
> Christian

Owing to the present package choices, how many who do not wish to be
myth developers but that have a slave backends also used as frontends
pointlessly run never-used mysql server daemons? Consider typical
habits: A person gets 'mythtv' installed on system 1. Time passes,
they are happy. So, they decide to add a system. They repeat what
worked before -- they go to 'synaptic' and click 'mythtv' on system 2.
There are no words anywere there speaking about differences for a slave
backend. Not a different package, not commentary in the synaptic
environment about slave backends. So, 'mythtv' it is!! After all, who
would want to install a system that is 'not complete' as it explains
there? So, they run mythtv-setup 'just like last time' and put in the
details for the master backend. Viola. Done. Another useless mysqld
is born!

No real harm done, just wasted memory, a swap space, a small performance
hit.