Re: possible dependency problem with mythtv (and chroot ques…

Author: Ross Boylan
To: dmo-discussion
CC: ross
Subject: Re: possible dependency problem with mythtv (and chroot questions)
On Sun, 2012-02-19 at 12:02 +0100, Christian Marillat wrote:
> Ross Boylan <ross@???> writes:
>
> > When I tried to install mythtv in a chroot running Debian testing the
> > first problem was
> > Preconfiguring packages ...
> > /tmp/mythtv-common.config.320363: 21: /tmp/mythtv-common.config.320363: pwgen: not found
> > mythtv-common failed to preconfigure, with exit status 127
> >
> > I had requested that only dependencies, not recommends, be installed.
> > This suggests that mythtv-common is missing a pre-dependency on the
> > pwgen package. pwgen was installed by the end.
>
> Packages in Pre-Depens is always a bad idea, packages should be
> installed even in the Depends field.

The problem here is that the mythtv-common installation process appears
to require pwgen, and declaring it a dependency is insufficient to
assure that it is in place when needed.

While pre-depends isn't usual, my understanding is that it was created
for precisely this situation: "Pre-Depends are also required if the
preinst script depends on the named package. It is best to avoid this
situation if possible."
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-relationships.html

> Otherwise the best to do install tests is to use Virtualbox if your CPu
> isn't too old.

P4 3GHz w/o VT. I didn't realize Virtualbox could operate without
hardware assist.