Re: Amazon instant video (using flash) fails in wheezy

Author: Andres Cimmarusti
To: dmo-discussion
Subject: Re: Amazon instant video (using flash) fails in wheezy
> Despite hal no longer being developed, there's been some maintenance
> updates in Debian. One of this updates is now causing Amazon instant
> video to refuse to play streaming content.
>
> I have submitted a bug report with this info here:
> But it has been largely ignored. Also posts in Debian forums have been ignored.
>
> The problem is well known and it's documented by Adobe here:
> http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/929/cpsid_92948.html
>
> Furthermore they say, the solution is to install hal and libhal1.
> However this same solution in Debian does not work. Has anyone
> experienced this problem? if so, have you found a solution in Debian
> testing (In Debian stable everything works like a charm).

Silly me. All that was needed (apart from installing hal and
restarting your computer so that hal loads) was to clear the cache
files from adobe and macromedia as follows:

rm -r ~/.adobe ~/.macromedia

Then restarting the browser and playing worked without a problem. Hal
in Debian is completely fine. The full solution can be found here:

http://radio.mcdougallshome.net/software/amazon-instant-video-and-flash-update-fix/

Sorry for the spamming!