Re: Invalid and inefficient vfw-avi packed B frames detected

Author: Rogério Brito
To: shirish शिरीष
CC: Debian-multimedia-maintainers
Subject: Re: Invalid and inefficient vfw-avi packed B frames detected
Hi there.

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 15:40, shirish शिरीष <shirishag75@???> wrote:
> While most of the files I am able to play within any of the players,
> one .avi file in particular I get the following error :-
>
> [mpeg4 @ 0x1cd1b40] Invalid and inefficient vfw-avi packed B frames detected
>
> Can something be done about this error or just delete this file and go on ?

Partially.

You can use a tool like avidemux to unpack the frames and write
another file. All this is made losslessly.

If you don't need things to be in an avi container, then I would
recommend that you additionally change to a better container, like
MKV.

You will also notice that your files will be smaller (while having
the same contents). For this (after you have unpacked the frames), you
can simply use, from the mkvtoolnix package:

mkvmerge -o newfile.mkv oldfile.avi

Hope this helps,
--
Rogério Brito : rbrito@{ime.usp.br,gmail.com} : GPG key 4096R/BCFCAAAA