pulse audio output error: overflow, flushing 'pulse audio ou…

Author: shirish शिरीष
To: Debian-multimedia-maintainers
Subject: pulse audio output error: overflow, flushing 'pulse audio output error: overflow, flushing
Hi all,
First of all please CC me if anybody responds. I did a bunch of
updates today (on amd 64 bit sid box) and suddenly audio has stopped
working (at least on vlc) . One of the biggies was/is the
initramfs-tools as well as the sysvinit package although dunno if that
changed anything (or not).

$ apt-show-versions -a sysvinit
sysvinit 2.88dsf-26 install ok installed
sysvinit 2.88dsf-13.1+squeeze1 stable       ftp.debian.org
sysvinit 2.88dsf-22.1          testing      ftp.debian.org
sysvinit 2.88dsf-25            experimental ftp.debian.org
sysvinit 2.88dsf-26            unstable     ftp.debian.org
sysvinit/unstable uptodate 2.88dsf-26

$ apt-show-versions -a sysvinit-utils
sysvinit-utils 2.88dsf-26 install ok installed
sysvinit-utils 2.88dsf-13.1+squeeze1 stable       ftp.debian.org
sysvinit-utils 2.88dsf-22.1          testing      ftp.debian.org
sysvinit-utils 2.88dsf-25            experimental ftp.debian.org
sysvinit-utils 2.88dsf-26            unstable     ftp.debian.org
sysvinit-utils/unstable uptodate 2.88dsf-26

$ apt-show-versions -a initramfs-tools
initramfs-tools 0.105 install ok installed
initramfs-tools 0.98.8 stable ftp.debian.org
initramfs-tools 0.103 testing ftp.debian.org
initramfs-tools 0.105 unstable ftp.debian.org
initramfs-tools/unstable uptodate 0.105

The error on the CLI was :-

[some memory address] freetype spu text error: Breaking unbreakable line

[some memory address] pulse audio output error: overflow, flushing
'pulse audio output error: overflow, flushing

Fiddling around with sound also produced nothing. It's not muted or anything.

the only rational answer I found was this blog post when searching for
my issue :-

http://charliemeyer.net/blog/2011/10/fix-for-sound-stop-working-randomly-on-ubuntu-11-04/

But trying the instructions on that blog post didn't do anything.

Also saw this ticket which was fixed in VLC last year

http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/5464

$ apt-show-versions -a vlc
vlc 1:2.0.1-dmo2 install ok installed
vlc 1.1.3-1squeeze6 stable   ftp.debian.org
vlc 2.0.1-4+b2      testing  ftp.debian.org
vlc 2.0.1-4+b2      unstable ftp.debian.org
vlc 1:2.0.1-dmo2    sid      www.deb-multimedia.org
vlc/sid uptodate 1:2.0.1-dmo2

Pulseaudio is 2.0-3

$ apt-show-versions -a pulseaudio
pulseaudio 2.0-3 install ok installed
pulseaudio 0.9.21-3+squeeze1 stable   ftp.debian.org
pulseaudio 2.0-3             testing  ftp.debian.org
pulseaudio 2.0-3             unstable ftp.debian.org
pulseaudio/testing uptodate 2.0-3

Then I rebooted the box in the hopes that maybe it needed a reboot.
Now I don't get the pulseaudio error but still no audio.

This is the output on the CLI :-

VLC media player 2.0.1 Twoflower (revision 2.0.1-0-gf432547)
[some memory address] dbus interface: listening on dbus as:
org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.vlc
[some memory address] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default
interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
[some memory address] freetype spu text error: Breaking unbreakable line

The memory addresses are not given for privacy reasons. If needed can
mail privately.

Please lemme know if there is something wrong somewhere.

I checked the speaker on another system (running MS-Windows
unfortunately) but the speakers work so it has to be something from
this.

I also purged alsa-base and reinstalled it (maybe some obsolete
configuration file) and restarted the system as well but still no go.

Looking forward to answers.
--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल