Question Concerning Legal Status of Handbrake in the US

Author: Timothy Patishnock
To: dmo-discussion@deb-multimedia.org
Subject: Question Concerning Legal Status of Handbrake in the US
I work as a multimedia professional for a company producing industrial products.

With that being said, I have a question concerning the legal status of Handbrake in the US.

While I understand it is under the GPL v2 - which is a non-issue in terms of legality - it is currently only available from the deb-multimedia.org repositories. As such it does not qualify for the Main Debian GNU/Linux repository of software.

Is this due to DMCA issues in the US concerning Digital Restrictions Management involving DVDs?

My goal is to create DRM-free back up DVD or Blu-Ray discs for marketing materials for the company and I do not want the slightest possibility of legal issues by use of the software for my purposes.

Thank you for taking the time to consider my question.

/tmp