Re: logrotate errors for mythlogserver with frontend only

Author: Dom
To: dmo-discussion
Subject: Re: logrotate errors for mythlogserver with frontend only
On 30/04/13 20:23, Dom wrote:
> On 25/04/13 14:21, Christian Marillat wrote:
>> Dom<toyer@???> writes:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> That sounds like a good idea to me. I've modified the logrotate script
>>> and report what it does tomorrow morning.
>>
>> Works for me (tested with 'sudo /usr/sbin/logrotate -v -f
>> /etc/logrotate.conf') after I've killed mythlogserver process.
>
> That seems to have stopped the original messages. Now I'm getting the
> occasional:
>
> /etc/cron.daily/logrotate:
> error: error running shared postrotate script for '/var/log/mythtv/*.log '
> run-parts: /etc/cron.daily/logrotate exited with return code 1
>
> I'll look deeper into this and report back when I work out what is
> causing it.

Aha! Got it.

"pkill: killing pid 18039 failed: Operation not permitted"

The postrotate script runs as mythtv "su mythtv mythtv", and I'm running
the frontend as "dom" (as that is my login for this PC). This means that
mythlogserver also runs as "dom" and logrotate can't kill it.

I have only been getting the email notifications when mythlogserver has
been started and there is a log from the previous day to rotate. I don't
use the frontend on this PC every day.

--
Dom