Re: running mythtv-setup as myself?

Author: Jon N
To: dmo-discussion
Subject: Re: running mythtv-setup as myself?
On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 8:57 PM, Ariel <asmarillat@???> wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Feb 2014, Jon N wrote:

>>> Check the file .mythtv/config,xml it has the database host, username, and
>>> password in it.
>>>
>>> Use the mythfrontend program to set it.
>

>> Check, check and check. Or at least it has the right hostname,
>> 'mythtv' as user name and the same password as the setup on my old
>> computer, so I would guess it's the default. I was thrown off a
>> little by the <localhostname> under <configuration> which I at first
>> changed to my hostname.
>

> I have <LocalHostName>my-unique-identifier-goes-here</LocalHostName> so it's
> probably not important.
>
> I moved my config.xml out of the way and got exactly the same symptoms as
> you describe, so it's definitely this file.
>
> Try:
>
> mysql --user=username --password=password --host=hostname databasename
>
> Copy in exactly the values from the Database section of the config file and
> make sure it can connect - do it from the machine where you run
> mythtv-setup.
>
> If that works, but mythtv-setup doesn't, then use strace and see if it's
> actually opening the config.xml file. Easiest way it to first run: script,
> then strace mythtv-frontend. Exit, so it closes script, then grep though the
> typescript looking for config.xml.
>
>         -Ariel

Ah Ha! This would seem to be the problem, here is the result of the command:

"ERROR 2005 (HY000): Unknown MySQL server host 'ost=Bedlum' (2)"

I also tried it with 'localhost' with the same results

The missing 'h' in 'ost' is a little odd, but I'm guessing not
important. I did change my computer's host name after I installed
Debian, and kind'a messed it up the 1st time by putting in illegal
characters. I first named it 'Bedlum_02', later changed it to just
'Bedlum' I'm not sure what the (2) after Bedlum in the error message
is referring to.

Where does mysql get the server host from?

Thanks,
Jon