Re: [VLC] Ati Radeon XPress 1250

Author: signal3
To: Jose Juan Montiel
CC: dmo-discussion, videolan-devel
Subject: Re: [VLC] Ati Radeon XPress 1250
Comments regarding the following discussion have been appended to the end of
this email.

Also, the following URL might help if you're interested in the whole
conversation:

http://www.debian-multimedia.org/lurker/search/20121201.000000.00000000@sb:vlc.en.html

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 6:27 PM, Jose Juan Montiel <
josejuan.montiel@???> wrote:

> Hi,
>

>     managed to reproduce this problem (using SID+dmo on my x1250 based
> motherboard).  I think the issue is with libswscale (not libavc*).

> Mostly because vlc complains:
>
> swScaler: pal8 is not supported as output pixel format
> [0x8bcc4bc] swscale scale error: could not init SwScaler and/or allocate
> memory
>
> Not to mention, the problem goes away by doing "sudo dpkg --force-depends
> -P libswscale0" (i.e. removing the dmo package) and then "sudo dpkg -i
> libswscale0_4%3a0.5.2-6_i386.deb" (i.e. installing the SID package).
>
> i install this, i think the same that you describe, but no luck.
>
> ii  vlc                               1.1.5-3
> multimedia player and streamer
> ii  vlc-nox                           1.1.5-3
> multimedia player and streamer (without X support)
> ii  vlc-plugin-notify                 1.1.5-3
> LibNotify plugin for VLC
> ii  vlc-plugin-pulse                  1.1.5-3
> PulseAudio plugin for VLC
> ii  libswscale0                       4:0.5.2-6
> ffmpeg video scaling library

I've done some more digging and it seems that the problem actually lies with
VLC. Beginning with git commit f82674e584d0550f3000658c6a579c4b9db139fe,
the ffmpeg developers broke API/ABI backward compatibility in
"libavutil/pixfmt.h".
As such, they also bumped the version in "libavutil/avutil.h".

All this leads us to what seems to be the culprit... VLC's
"modules/codec/avcodec/chroma.c", which does not yet accomodate the updates
to ffmeg's new pixfmt.h. It's a pretty common problem actually, especially
if you're not working within the confines of a *formal* object model (one of
the things I always liked about COM).

Anyway, I'm not sure if the VLC people know about this... so I'm cc'ing
their dev list.

In addition, I didn't notice any warnings when running VLC (even w/ -v
switch) regarding possible .so version conflicts. Not sure if the VLC
people have plans on doing a run-time version compatibility check but...
running "nm libavutil.a" shows that "avutil_version" seems to be available
for such things. Not quite the same as COM's queryinterface... but probably
sufficient :-P

After realizing all this, it should come as no surprise that we're getting
the "swScaler: pal8 is not supported as output pixel format" message, right?

So, I don't have a precise suggestion Jose... except that the unstable repos
are what they are; "latest" is not necessarily "greatest" ;-) But... I'm
pretty sure that these things will get sorted out in due time.

If you want to keep using dmo+unstable... you could pin avutils, swscaler,
and friends to the pre-f82674e584d0550f3000658c6a579c4b9db139fe version;
maybe Christian can explain exactly how that's done - for now, I'm just
sticking w/ Lenny ;-)

If it means that much... one could always try fixing the problem themselves
:-/ I'd offer to do it except that I need to bring home some bacon, lol; so
I can't say it's high on my list of priorities right now. I'm kind of just
hoping that emailing "higher authorities" will help move things along for
you.

-Best wishes