Re: mythtv changelog.gz

Author: Craig Sanders
To: dmo-discussion
Subject: Re: mythtv changelog.gz
On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 02:20:43PM +0100, Christian Marillat wrote:
> Christian Marillat <marillat@???> writes:
>
> > Ariel <asmarillat@???> writes:
> >
> >> In mythtv 0.24+fixes20101231-0.1 you added a 2.3MB changelog.gz to all
> >> of the packages.
> >
> > Not me, but upstream. I agree this file is too big. I don't like the
> > idea to completely remove this file. A solution is to cut this file or
> > to make mythtv doc directories a symlink to only one package
> > (mythtv-common), but its annoying because dpkg is unable to manage a
> > that I need to write preinst scripts for that.
>
> The best solution is to not package the ChangeLog at all because not all
> package depends on mythtv-common

unfortunately, that means there's no way of telling what changes/patches are
in your current mythtv package.

maybe i'm unusual, but i like to look at changelogs to see what's changed,
especially if i'm trying to solve a problem.

putting the upstream changelog into mythtv-common seems the best
solution. having only one copy of docs in a -common package is a very
common practice in lots of programs that are split into multiple debian
packages.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@???>