subtitles not being displayed in vlc but being displayed in …

Author: shirish शिरीष
To: Debian-multimedia-maintainers
Subject: subtitles not being displayed in vlc but being displayed in dragon player
Hi all,
This happened within a day or two and I don't know where else to turn
to. For some reason vlc is not displaying the subtitles right and I'm
all getting are rectangles.

Running vlc in the CLI I get this :-

$ vlc
VLC media player 1.1.13 The Luggage (revision exported)
Blocked: call to unsetenv("DBUS_ACTIVATION_ADDRESS")
Blocked: call to unsetenv("DBUS_ACTIVATION_BUS_TYPE")
[0x1ec7120] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use
'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
Blocked: call to setlocale(6, "")
Blocked: call to setlocale(6, "")

(process:4492): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
    Using the fallback 'C' locale.
Warning: call to rand()
Warning: call to rand()
Warning: call to rand()
Warning: call to rand()
Warning: call to rand()
[0x7f8a0c03cb20] subsdec decoder error: failed to convert subtitle encoding.
Try manually setting a character-encoding before you open the file.
[0x7f8a0c03cb20] subsdec decoder error: failed to convert subtitle encoding.
Try manually setting a character-encoding before you open the file.

The version I have of vlc is from debian-multimedia :-

$ apt-show-versions -a vlc
vlc 1:1.1.13-0.0 install ok installed
vlc 1.1.3-1squeeze6 stable   ftp.debian.org
vlc 1.1.13-1+b1     testing  ftp.debian.org
vlc 1.1.13-1+b1     unstable ftp.debian.org
vlc 1:1.1.13-0.0    sid      www.debian-multimedia.org
vlc/sid uptodate 1:1.1.13-0.0

I did a google search of the above errors and came across this :-

http://askubuntu.com/questions/18721/subtitle-are-not-working-in-vlc

Well, what to say I can see it in dragon player, in leafpad (my
preferred text-editor) can see the same in dragon. Movie Player does
not show the subtitles but then it doesn't show at all (not even the
subtitles) so can't complain really. I do get the error however
something like :-

(totem:5099): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: value "10752000" of type
`guint' is invalid or out of range for property `connection-speed' of
type `guint'

while with dragon (KDE stuff) I get it without any issues :-

$ dragon
Connecting to deprecated signal
QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
kbuildsycoca4 running...
dragonplayer(5310)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction
"aspect_ratio_menu" with KXMLGUIFactory!
dragonplayer(5310)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction
"audio_channels_menu" with KXMLGUIFactory!
dragonplayer(5310)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction
"subtitle_channels_menu" with KXMLGUIFactory!

please lemme know what could have changed,broken or anything I could
help to find out more.
--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल