Re: Packaging of the chrome flashplayer-pepper

Author: Ariel
To: dmo-discussion
Subject: Re: Packaging of the chrome flashplayer-pepper

On Sat, 14 Dec 2013, Stephan Seitz wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 07:54:13PM +0000, Bart Martens wrote:

>> It may not be how you expect it to be, but security updates are supported :

>> update-pepperflashplugin-nonfree --install

> Would it possible to add a cronjob in the packages?

After reading this thread I checked and my pepperflashplugin was indeed
out of date. (Bart: Security updates really are a problem with this
packaging method.)

But happily update-pepperflashplugin-nonfree is silent if there are no
updates, so all I had to do was create the file:

/etc/cron.daily/pepperflashplugin-nonfree

With the contents:

#!/bin/sh

/usr/sbin/update-pepperflashplugin-nonfree --install

And problem solved for me. (I'll get an email from cron if there is an
update, but I'm OK with that.)

But this is probably not enough for debian as a whole because it means
every user will hit the server at (approx) the same time of day. They'd
need some way to randomize it.

Then again, google probably can handle it. So maybe the simple method will
work just fine.

     -Ariel