Error in Squeeze/Sid dvd::rip

Author: Curt Howland
To: dmo-discussion
Subject: Error in Squeeze/Sid dvd::rip
Dear Debian Multimedia,

I found an error in the Squeeze/Sid software versions available
through Debian-Multimedia, when trying to use dvd::rip.

The error message when ripping a title is
http://pages.suddenlink.net/curthowland/20110105_dvd-rip_transcode_error.jpg
"It seems that transcode ripping stopped short. The movie has 187646
frames, but only 150308 wwere ripped. This is most likely a problem
with your transcode/libdvdread installation, resp. a problem with
this specific DVD."

Here is the dependency list for the broken Sid version:
http://pages.suddenlink.net/curthowland/20110105_dvd-rip_transcode_error_dependencies.jpg

This happened with every DVD I've used dvd::rip on since upgrading to Sid.
The resulting video files also have a very jerky video,
pausing every second in a stuttering motion. Audio is unaffected.

Lenny is NOT having this problem. I built a VM of Lenny, after trying
both Sid and a VM of Squeeze to be sure the same symptom occurred in
Squeeze, and tested all three on the same DVD image.

http://pages.suddenlink.net/curthowland/20110105_dvd-rip_transcode_working.jpg

Is anyone else having this problem?

If you think someone upstream needs to know about this, please let me
know who.

Curt-