Re: avidemux 2.6.1

Author: Nick Morrott
To: dmo-discussion
Subject: Re: avidemux 2.6.1
On 27 November 2013 16:56, Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie@???> wrote:

> I'll investigate on a non-AMD based machine - this is strange as
> avidemux never used to cause any issues on this machine.

Christian,

I've just built an i7 box (64-bit Debian Jessie) to replace the AMD
machine (32-bit Debian Jessie) I was using when I first saw the
segfaults with avidemux2_cli and avidemux-qt installed, so I thought
I'd retest the current -dmo packages on the new install.

Result: I still get the segfaults :(

I thought I'd try and dig a little to see where the problem might lie.

When running avidemux2_cli, I noticed the following warning in the
output before the stacktrace:

[ADM_vf_plugin] Scanning directory /usr/lib/ADM_plugins/videoFilter/
Terminate class is calling in start
[Filters] Registered filter
/usr/lib/ADM_plugins/videoFilter//libADM_vf_avsfilter.so as Avisynth
script filter (AvsFilter, ver 0.8a)
[Filters] Registered filter
/usr/lib/ADM_plugins/videoFilter//libADM_vf_Deinterlace.so as
Deinterlace
[Filters] Registered filter
/usr/lib/ADM_plugins/videoFilter//libADM_vf_logo.so as Logo
[Filters] Registered filter
/usr/lib/ADM_plugins/videoFilter//libADM_vf_mcdeint.so as
mcDeinterlace
[Filters] Registered filter
/usr/lib/ADM_plugins/videoFilter//libADM_vf_denoise3d.so as MPlayer
denoise3d
/usr/lib/ADM_plugins/videoFilter//libADM_vf_asharp_qt4.so:WrongUI

Notice the "WrongUI" warning on the libADM_vf_asharp_qt4.so lib above.

I temporarily moved that file (and all other libs with the _qt4.so
suffix) out of the /usr/lib/ADM_plugins/videoFilter/ directory, and
now all segfaults are gone, and my batch script runs normally for the
first time in many months.

So, it appears that the filters installed from the avidemux-qt package
somehow break avidemux2_cli plugin scanning during startup, triggering
the segfault.

I use avidemux_qt in copy mode (lossless editing of DVB MPEG-2 files)
so I don't need those filters available (at the moment), but I'm
wondering if the QT4 filters should be placed in another subdirectory
or whether there is something broken in upstream (I realise the dmo
version of avidemux is now quite old).

Any thoughts on whether this might be fixable in the dmo avidemux packages?

Cheers,
Nick