running mythtv-setup as myself?

Author: Jon N
To: dmo-discussion
Subject: running mythtv-setup as myself?
Hi,

I have been enjoying MythTV on Debian for years. My thanks to
everyone who helps make this possible, I don't have the skills to help
myself, but I really do appreciate it.

Recently I put together a new PC to take over the duties of the main
MythTV box, so it will be the frondend and backend. I did a fresh
install of Debian Jesse and then MythTV from this repository. But I
am getting stuck running mythtv-setup.

I have both tried running as myself (which I do without problem on the
old setup), and tried following the instructions in README.Debian.
Running as myself gets me the screen to choose Country and Language,
but on the next screen it tells me it can not access the database
("MythTV can not connect to the Database. Please verify you database
settings below."). If I try running it as '-u mythtv' I get the error
"mythtv-setup: cannot connect to X server :0.0" regardless if I run
'xhost +<myhostname>' or not.

I did get it to run be logging out and back in as the mythtv user, but
never finished setting it up. I don't have to do that on the old
system, so I'm assuming something is broken that should be fixed.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to start? I'm sure you will need
more information than what I gave above, but I'm not even sure what
will help, so please ask away.

Thanks
Jon